The model shows the residential town of the Electors of Saxony on the Elbe River. In 1487, the construction of the Renaissance Castle had begun. It was created as a three-wing complex, the Castle Church being integrated into the construction; Luther is alleged to have nailed his 95 theses to its doors.
Lucas Cranach the Elder was active as a painter for the Electoral court as from 1505; in his houses, he had a workshop and a printing shop. To the east of the market square, the Town and Parish Church of St. Mary towers above the other buildings of the town.
The eastern part of the town houses the building complex of the Leucorea University, founded in 1502.
As early as 1503, the Old College was structurally completed. Complemented by the New College and the use of the Castle Church as University Church, the Elector’s educational institution continued to grow.
Martin Luther’s house is located on the eastern edge of the town. The residential house of Melanchthon, located halfway between Luther’s house and the university, is easily recognizable by its arched gables.
In exceptional cases, the castle church was also used as the auditorium of the Leucorea University. Legend has it that Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-Five Theses to its portal.
Lucas Cranach the Elder was a Wittenberg painter and entrepreneur.
Among the works printed in Cranach’s printing shop is Luther’s first translation of the New Testament.
The construction of the town hall lasted 20 years and was finished in 1541. It was the meeting place of the City Council of Wittenberg.
In Luther’s time, Saxony was ruled by Elector Frederick the Wise. He built an early modern castle with a castle church.
Reformer Johannes Bugenhagen was elected parish pastor of St. Mary’s. He and Martin Luther regularly preached here.
This is the location of the house where Bugenhagen lived with his family. It was the oldest Protestant parsonage in the world.
To increase the university’s capacity, the construction of the New College, located opposite the Old College, begun in 1509. The major part of the academic events took place here.
The Leucorea University was founded in 1502. The name is derived from the Greek word for “white mountain”, i.e., Wittenberg.
This is the place where reformer Philipp Melanchthon lived. On the elector’s initiative, the house was built in 1536 to keep the humanist in the town.
Construction of the “Black Monastery” of the Augustinian monks was begun in 1503/04. When the monastery was dissolved in the wake of the Reformation, Martin Luther lived here with his family.
Jakub ChrobokNick Oelschlägel
Das ernestinische Wittenberg, hrsg. v. Heiner Lück/ Enno Bünz/ Leonhard Helten, 3 Bände, Wittenberg-Forschungen Petersberg, 2011.